Sunday, March 3, 2013

February’s Life, Love and Busy-ness




     

It really is amazing how quickly time passes. It has been over a month since I last posted and so much has happened around here. February came and went in a flash. It was full of worry due to several events that are close to my heart. It all started with a letter I sent to CPS at Christmastime regarding my sweet little nephew, Christian, after he complained about some scary and disturbing happenings in his home environment.



          The chain of events that happened after my letter was sent has all happened quickly and intensely. I have been to court in San Luis Obispo twice in support of my brother and to protect Christian from his current difficult environment. In short, Christian has been appointed his own attorney that is further investigating and allowing Christian to have his own voice in court. His mother was proven a liar and we are due to follow up at the end of the month. Please keep him in your thoughts and prayers that he will remain in good spirits and continue to be safe. I love him as if he was my own and more than anything, I would want him to be in the custody of my brother and in the care of my family. 



          Following all of that madness, my father in law suffered a heart attack on the same day I drove to and from SLO. It was one of the days I woke at 3:30am to brave the long drive. Upon my return I found out that Gramps was brought to the hospital. Glenn and I headed over there to find further details and we were in the hospital until late that night. It was one of those crazy days that you are absolutely on auto pilot and continue to push forth to get it all done. My mother in law definitely needed our support and we wanted firsthand information. Gramps is absolutely back to his old self and has been recovering well ever since. He did require surgery for intervention but came through it and has been in great spirits ever since. He is so resilient and has such a positive outlook, I have no doubt that he will not allow this to set him back. We are just pleased to have a healthy and happy Gramps again. He gave us all quite a scare. 



      I was fighting illness for what felt like a month. It began with bronchitis, lead to laryngitis and finally to asthma. I am back to feeling like myself again, but it is evident that working around all of the little germies has attributed to my poor health this year. I imagine after some time my immunities will build up and I will not catch every little bug that comes around. Until then, I will continue to enforce hygiene etiquette and hope for the best.


      At work I have been very busy this month as it was time for formal observations from the principal. Even though it is not such a big deal, it still raises the anxiety level. My observation was this past week and it went well according to the debrief meeting. Really, I am just happy to have it behind me. Also at work, we celebrated Valentine’s Day and I had no idea that it was such a big deal at our school. My students brought me so many gifts; gift baskets, chocolates, flowers and many, many assorted little goodies. I really had no idea. I definitely feel all of the love





      As for health, Aaron is attending WW meetings regularly with me again. We’ve switched to the Wednesday evening meeting and the leader is so much fun. She is lively, enthusiastic, funny and well informed. She makes it more engaging. The group is also very cohesive. Everybody is open to sharing and supportive of each other; just the way it should be. I’ve not lost much over the past month and this past week I was concerned. My new leader looked over my past week and all of my information and she has come to the conclusion that I am getting too much sodium. So, now that I am aware, I am being nit-picky about every little thing and trying to eliminate as much sodium from my intake as possible. I’ll keep you all posted and let you know next week if it makes a difference.

     
I have also been teaching yoga to students each week for our Fun Friday elective. It is remarkable to me that they have taken to the practice so well. They are definitely more flexible than I am and it makes me happy to see that they are taking it so seriously. I must admit that being sick and becoming so busy and overwhelmed, the first thing I have allowed to suffer has been my exercise routine. Wow…just confessing and writing this down feels bad and makes me want to figure it out and get back into my routine. In weeks past, Sarah and I have gone over our schedules on Sunday to determine which days for the following week are best for us to work out together. Today this is a must! I commit to attending the gym at least 3X this coming week. I also plan to either walk my dogs with Glenn or ride my bike around the neighborhood today. 


 

Other positives for the past month include signing up for Color Me Rad 5K run in September (I plan to train and actually run this one!). I was invited by a sweet friend to participate on her team. Sarah also signed up to do it. I have spent a lot of time with friends and family that included lunches, dinners, coffee, shopping and all of that good stuff. Our family was able to have Christian visit for a few days. The judge confirmed that he will be with us over the Spring break so we can take him with us on a big family Disneyland trip. I had a week off for Winter break where I mostly tried to recharge and regroup. I have spent a lot of time with Glenn as he has not been working regularly for several weeks. He has actually been invited to participate in a chronic pain management program that I think will change his/our life for the better. Finally I did book that trip to Las Vegas to attend my friend’s wedding in April. As always…having fun things to look forward to keeps us all going.





February started out extreme and seemed to fly by with one thing after another, but looking back it just feels like progress. That said, I am off to enjoy this beautiful day and continue making progress.

Until next time...Live, Love, Laugh and Light!

No comments:

Post a Comment