Saturday, March 19, 2016

Feeling Like the Old Me Again :)

I’m back again J



Greetings all, I am back to blogging, among other things. It seems that there is always a lot happening in my little corner of the world.

I’ll start with work. In case you didn’t already know…I teach first grade and I enjoy it immensely. I currently work in a school in East San Jose where I have been working for the past four years. I am kind of a late start professional, as I did not attend college until I was in my 30’s. It’s OK though because I feel that being a little bit older has given me some maturity and life experience and it works towards my benefit.

Anyways, I think the last time I wrote I was pointing out how the particular school site that I work at has a high demand to go above and beyond, with home visits, additional conferences, an extended day and almost two additional weeks of professional development classes pre and post school year. Now, I am not against working hard and always striving to do my very best, but being the perfectionist that I tend to be, I never feel completely accomplished and I am certain that it has been attributing to my feeling down at the years start. (*Note, I have since crawled out of my temporary depression and am feeling like myself again, thanks to additional vitamin D). The amount of work we all put in is overwhelming. Teaching in itself is a demanding job, but at our school it is almost impossible to keep up, maintain the level of expectation and remain happy in doing so.



So, I had made the difficult decision to opt out of my contract to continue at this school for the upcoming 2016-2017 school year. I hadn’t told anyone of my decision. Then our staff was  presented with letters of intent to say whether we are remaining at our current campus, retiring, resigning or “other.” What I had selected to do counts as “other.” So, I was faced with having to be honest and upfront to my principal about my decision. She was understanding and asked me to reconsider, but I just cannot remain in a constant state of stress. I have opted to excess, which means that I have put my name in as not wanting to remain at my current site, but am guaranteed a position within the district, dependent upon available openings and seniority status. So, for now I am just waiting for the selection process that is to happen on May 5th.  And ya know, I feel really good about my decision to move on. It will be the next exciting chapter of my beautiful life. I’m hoping to find another primary (K-1-2) position at a desirable site, so wish me luck and send me some of that good universe juju.

It actually turned out that five out of our eleven of staff members are moving on. This particular school has had a long history of large turnover and really no longevity, so I don’t feel so bad. I will however miss my students, former students and families, but know that wherever I go I will love my new students just as much.

On another note, I have decided to go back to Medifast after five years. I thought about it for a long time and spoke with my general practitioner, who is supportive and is monitoring me during this current weight loss phase. I did Medifast in 2011, with great success and more than likely would have remained through transition and maintenance had I not become ill with adenomyosis and uterine/abdominal cavity mesothelial cysts.

My goal this time around is to lose the weight, transition accordingly and maintain my loss using the learned habits from Dr. Wayne Anderson’s Habits of Health textbook and workbook. It actually feels like a college course on sound nutrition and I am enjoying it completely!



I started following the program last week on Sunday and am already down five pounds. It feels great to get up and see the scale going down again. I lucked out because my old health coach is still active and she is also supporting and assisting me in this process. I really like her and trust her input, so it feels good. I should also say that my sweet husband is incredibly supportive. He just may be my biggest fan. Prior to making this decision I had been counting calories on MFP religiously and getting regular exercise without much success. I was also doing WW for a while and more or less maintaining at a weight that I am not comfortable with. I am certain that my new plan and support system will be effective. 

And, it was just the one-year anniversary of my hysterectomy on St. Patrick’s Day and I have been feeling physically better than ever, so it feels like the perfect time to take on this weight loss challenge. I had tried briefly to go back to Medifast after my initial surgery in 2011, but I was too ill at that time to follow through. I actually required three further surgeries from the initial one in 2011, until the final hysterectomy surgery in 2015. So, I had been feeling physically poor for a long, long time…BUT NO MORE! I feel good and now I want to look good too!

I think that’s all for now-

Until next time, be well J

Live, Love, Laugh-

Lisa

No comments:

Post a Comment