Saturday, January 12, 2013

Back to Work and More!




This past week was back to work with the sweet and needy second graders. Though I was dreading getting back into the swing of things, it was remarkably more simple (aside from waking up early) than I anticipated. It honestly felt as if I never left. It also reinforced just how much I missed all of my little sweeties.  I have a very sensitive and thoughtful group of students and this week I got lots of hugs and love from them. They enjoy sharing their lives with me and sometimes I get an earful of unexpected information. For instance, while sitting in circle and sharing with each other about  holiday break, most students shared stories of visiting family, attending parties, receiving wonderful gifts from Santa and general pleasantries. However, there were a couple of awkward surprises. First one of my students shared that her uncle was so drunk and mean at a family get together that she wished he didn’t come to visit. Another student told me of her grandmother’s car accident that led to a drunk driving citation with her in the backseat, and having to spend the afternoon at the police department…and still one more student shared with me that his mother’s car was stolen on Christmas day(possibly by his father)!  It is sometimes hard for me, but I need to remember that these students live in a very different environment than my own children. I also need to remember that they have no filters when it comes to sharing and will openly tell me anything and everything, whether positive or negative. I always respond positively, but I do find that I get caught off guard on occasion.


On another note, Saturday mornings are my WW weigh in days. I attend a small meeting close by my house that I really enjoy. We have a great leader, a delightful receptionist and a nice group of members. They keep me going. For the past three weeks though, I have gained a small amount. I promised myself that I would not get caught up in the numbers, yet I am finding that I am being a bit negative with myself. I have to remember that I am not defined by a number. It is so easy to say, but more difficult to embed in your mind. For now, I am going to do what I know works best. I will track all of my meals and snacks, drink my water, work out regularly and include fruits and vegetables at every meal. Sounds simple doesn’t it? It is, and it would be if only I could stick to it each and every day. Either way, I continue to show up and attend weekly, listen and share with others and allow myself a fresh start each week for a healthier and improved week ahead.


Lastly, over the past week Sarah and I attended a vision board get together at the home of a lovely friend of mine. It was such perfect timing since I had just done that very activity the week prior. She added a bit more insight into the process that makes it even more worthwhile. She had us do this mindful process of reflecting on the past year and listing some of the successes and shortcomings. We then did something similar in projecting for the coming year. I found it to be a fantastic addition to what I had already done and I plan to tape it to the back of my board. I also decided that I am making another board specifically for my spirit/angel work, as she had many ideal magazines to choose from for that purpose. I promise to post it as soon as it is complete. IT IS GOING TO LOOK SO GOOD!


That’s it for now. I am off to enjoy this beautiful Saturday with my family. I don’t have any specific big plans, but I do know that I am going to have a great day. I may even go out to dinner with my sweetheart tonight.


Until next time…Dream Big, Shoot for the Stars, Believe in yourself, and never ever underestimate the power of love!

Live, love, laugh and light-
Lisa

5 comments:

  1. Funny -- I just realized that most of my teacher friends teach 2nd grade. From the mouths of babes, eh? One friend is continually saddened by the number of kids in her classroom that are dealing with divorce. How great that all of these kids have such loving role models in their lives. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Carol, you are my first comment! Yes, these little ones tell me everything and sometimes it is tough to remain positive. One day I left school crying because all of my students shared what they wanted from Santa and one of my kids wanted new shoes because his shoes had a hole in the sole.

      Delete
  2. I need to get your email. I'll go through my stuff to see if I have it somewhere -- although I'm not sure what your main one is these days. My main one is a gmail now, not sure if you have that. I figure it will be easier to keep in touch off of facebook & here. I'm trying to be better about the blogging thing... just put up a new post today. Hope all is well in your world. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Carol,
      Yes email would be good. My email is lmarierogers@gmail.com

      Delete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete