Saturday, September 17, 2011

Good News!


My pathology report came back clean. Absolutely everything was cancer free, the appendix, fallopian tube, ovary, uterus AND the mysterious cysts.

It turns out the cysts are a very rare condition called mesothelial cysts or benign cystic mesothelioma. My doctor said that there are under 900 cases ever documented in history, and that is why she or the other doctors had never seen them before.

I am blessed in that she called me late yesterday evening, preventing me from having to wait over the weekend for results. She was so thorough and professional that I have requested her to be my primary OBGYN doctor, and she said that she would be honored to be my doctor.

My follow up appointment is next Wednesday and I am composing a list of questions and concerns to go over with her. Until then, I am slowly recovering and taking things very, very slow.

Since I am feeling a huge relief I thought I would share a bit about my new job. Since there are not many jobs available for teachers (especially new teachers) I accepted a part time position in a third grade class as an assistant. I accepted this position for several reasons. First, a part time position working with children is better than no position and it means a regular paycheck will be coming in. Second, I fell in love with the people that run the private school I am working at. I felt an immediate connection and a sense of belonging. I know this may sound/seem a bit crazy, but it is absolutely true. I wanted to work there at that school with those people more than anything. They also said that they are planning on expanding next year by adding another kindergarten, another first grade and another second grade classroom and that I would have first dibs on one of these openings. I figured that if I were hired in the public school setting, I would be one of the first people pink slipped in the springtime. So not only am I going to be able to work at the school I fell in love with, in a classroom with third graders that I adore, for people that are incredibly open minded, kind and understanding, but also with the promise of opportunity! It is all good and I am so pleased that they liked me as much as I liked them.

Now for the most amazing part of all… after I was diagnosed with abnormalities and told I needed surgery I had to call my new boss and tell her that I would need to take some time off (even before I ever started). I cannot believe her amazing response and how kind hearted she was to me. She initially said that she would cover the first two weeks, allowing me time to feel better and to schedule my surgery. She then said that she thought I may need more time off that the original two weeks. Of course since then I have needed more time off. I just finished missing my third week off work. I planned on going back on Monday, even though I am still hurting. Well she called earlier this week and said that although they really want me, they want me to be 100% before I commit to coming in daily. I said that I felt bad that they were probably scrambling to cover my shift and she assured me that that was not my problem and they have it covered. She doesn’t want me to return until at least after my follow up appointment this coming Wednesday. I promised her that I am worth the wait.

Remarkable!

It absolutely solidifies that I made the right decision in wanting to work for these people/school. I mean, had I taken on a job in the public school system I would have already been replaced by one of the other 300 people looking for each open position. So I think I am taking off one more week, but I really can’t wait to go back to work. I truly believe that little people keep me young:)

Wow, am I thankful. I am thankful for not having cancer. I am thankful for a speedy recovery. I am thankful for my job and the kindness of the people there. I am thankful for all of your prayers, but mostly I am thankful being able to continue living this great life of mine!

2 comments:

  1. What blessings! Congrats on getting that job you wanted! I hope your recovery is quick and you will be up to being fulling committed at your new job. I'm sure you will do wonderful. So happy your tests turned out as good news. God is good!!

    Take care and have a Wonderful Week!!
    God bless...
    ~Margene

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Margene,
    I appreciate all of the well wishes and blessings. You are so kind in all of your messages:)I'll let you know about the job as I will be starting tomorrow.

    Best-
    Lisa

    ReplyDelete