Friday, September 2, 2011

Hawaii and More


I have been MIA for over a month and although it has been on my mind to put my thoughts to writing, I have either not had the time or not been feeling well. A lot has happened to me during the month of August.

First, I went on a fantastic vacation with my family. My sweet husband brought seven of us on a fun trip to Hawaii. Each of my children brought a guest. Sarah brought her boyfriend, Kevin, whom we all love. Alex brought his best buddy, Michael, who is a real sweetie and tons of fun to have around. Glenn and I brought my mom and it felt so great to bring her along because I know she had the best time, and we ALL enjoyed her company!

We spent three nights in Oahu at the Hilton Hawaiian Village. It was great because both of my children, as well as their guests speak Japanese and there is a large population of Japanese on the island. (We’ve actually hosted three Japanese exchange students and have sent our children on school trips to Japan) The kids were able to find plenty of choices for good sushi and all of the Japanese treats that they enjoy. We even all went out one night for great sushi and the kids made a new little friend, Hotaro, while singing silly Japanese songs, speaking broken Japanese, and playing silly Japanese games.

While on Oahu, my mom, Glenn and I took public transportation to Pearl Harbor. It is quite the memorial. It is both somber and breathtaking. All of the memorabilia in the museum is amazing to see. My favorite things were the taped accounts of people that were actually there on the island, the photographs and the movie I saw in the large auditorium before actually going to the USS Arizona Memorial. I learned that Elvis Presley has a fundraiser concert to raise money to help build the memorial. I also learned that it is maintained to this day by the Navy. It is so much to absorb and process while visiting. I do think it is something that any American and beyond should see at least once in their lifetime. I am glad that I went as this was my third visit to Oahu, yet my first visit to Pearl Harbor.

We also spent a day at Sea Life Park, so Sarah and I could swim with the dolphins again, but this time we were able to take some dolphin virgins along. Sarah and I were both interested in doing this again, as it is almost a spiritual thing. I think the dolphins know what we are feeling and thinking. They are amazing creatures and I will swim and touch them at every opportunity. We couldn’t convince my mom to do it, and Glenn and Alex have had to do this with Sarah and me several times on other vacations, so they were not interested in participating. So, we brought Kevin and Michael along. Of course they loved it and had a great time. I think it brings out the best in everybody.

After Oahu, we boarded our ship, The Pride of America, for our Hawaiian cruise. It was the best fun. We spent the next seven nights cruising the islands of Hawaii and I would do it all over if given the opportunity, just so I could experience the beauty, fun, family and kindness of others. The first night we all got used to the layout and mechanics of the ship. At our muster station meeting, Kevin began to play the piano on the way out. He is classically trained and absolutely amazing. The dining room manager invited him back to play on formal night. So, for the next couple evenings, he and Sarah went to practice on the grand piano. It was pretty cool, and when he finally did perform, we of course videotaped so we could share the pride with his own parents.

Our first overnight stay was in Maui. On one of these days, I drank too much at the pool and danced like a fool on the deck, along with my partner in crime, Mom. Again, it was all in fun and I ultimately switched to water, but I can tell you that I made good friends with my pool deck waiters. We kinda split up in Maui and the kids all stayed together hunting for the best sushi.

It’s funny, even though the kids could do whatever they wanted and eat whenever they chose to; they chose to eat with us, as a group, every single night. So every night we dressed up and went to the dining room together. It was great because we could also decide what we were all doing afterwards, as there were shows, dances and fun things to choose from. Most nights we all did things together, but since there were so many choices, we sometimes split up. For instance, Sarah and Kevin were interested in seeing this improv group that I really wasn’t interested in seeing. Glenn and Mom and I mostly hung together, but when Glenn got tired and pooped out, I was happy to have Mom. She never tires and was always up for anything.

After Maui, we docked in Hilo on the Big Island. We had pre-arranged for a van since we were a party of seven, so we could sight see. First stop-BIG ISLAND CANDY...oh my goodness. This place is too much for me. I mostly wanted to get my dog sitter something special, and I did. The old me would have bought and eaten the chocolate dipped shortbread cookies. However, the new slimmer me put some serious thought into this dilemma. In the end, I opted out of purchasing anything for myself. Honestly I prefer to have enjoyed the sample I was given and pass on all of the delicious calories. It wasn’t easy, and it took a lot of self talk, but once I left that place, I didn’t miss the goodies one bit. We then traveled to Akaka Falls where they have this 1 mile loop trail leading through the beautiful rainforest to the stunning view of the falls. Even though it was raining, and we were not prepared, it was still warm and we did not care. We had a fantastic time, made some great memories, soaked in all of the beauty and took many gorgeous pictures. It felt like we were at the heart of Hawaii; truly remarkable. We then went to a local place for lunch and headed towards the botanical gardens. Hilo was fairly rural and untouched. I imagine it is what Hawaii is meant to be.

The next day we went to the opposite side of the Big Island to Kona. Of course, we had to lunch at the Kona Brewing Company. We made friends with the shop kitty and dubbed her “Kona.” Sarah and Kevin went snorkeling, the boys took the tender back to the ship to hang with their teen club friends, and Mom and I shopped for white dresses for the white hot party that night (with success). We also swam and played on the beach with Glenn for a while.

Our next day was in Kauai and it was my absolute favorite! All I can say is WOW! We again had a van so we could all travel together. On this day we stopped at the grocery store and loaded up with beer, drinks, snax and lunchy stuff. We knew we were headed to the north shore in search on Hanalei. We ultimately found it and I think it was the most spectacular beach I have ever been to. Glenn and I are definitely planning on heading back to Kauai next year, by ourselves. We spent our entire day lunching, swimming and playing at Hanalei. Someone later told me that Puff the Magic Dragon was written about that particular spot (Hana Lee). Who knows? Either way, it was the most magical place I have EVER been. I didn’t want to leave. Kauai is where I want to spend more time with my sweetheart. I’m already looking into resorts for next year.

The next day was our final full day, and we never left the ship. We were still in Kauai, but were set to sail at 1pm, so we opted to party and celebrate vacation. Once the ship set sail, we sailed along the Napali coast along the shores of Kauai, and boy oh boy did that solidify for me that Kauai is the most beautiful island. It was absolutely majestic and phenomenal. I have never seen anything like that before and I was definitely in awe. Our last night on the ship was equally as entertaining and I think that cruising is a nice way to get a little taste of several of the islands. Ad I can’t believe that I have not mentioned until now just how extraordinary the staff and crew were. We loved them, and I think I may have made some lifetime friends in the staff. (I’ll get into the coincidences later)

Our trip was tons of fun. There is just too much to share. I think I’ve already written over 1500 words in my short blog post. I was going to elaborate on my other stuff from August, but will have to wait until next post.

OH YEAH! I only gained 4 pounds and have lost them already. Yay, yay, yay for me!

Also, I got the job I wanted (more on this later).

And lastly, I am having some serious health issues that are requiring surgery next week. I promise to elaborate on this over the weekend sometime, but it is the true reason I have not written since I have returned home.

I promise, promise, promise to update later this weekend-

~Live, love, laugh and lose,

Lisa



Our first night. Mom, Michael, me and Glenn
Big Island Candy with everyone.
Kona Brewing Company with everyone.
Dining room with everyone
White Hot Party, Mom and I
Hanalei Bay, Kauai, Alex, me, Glenn and Sarah
Kauai on pool deck with Glenn
Unplanned leopard stuff, me, Sarah and Mom
Napali coast with Glenn

No comments:

Post a Comment