Monday, May 9, 2011

Surviving the Easter Holiday (originally posted 4/25/11)


This past weekend was tough for me. I have a large Italian family that loves to eat and also loves to feed others. My family is so spread out through the bay area that we celebrate Easter Saturday at my aunt’s house, leaving everyone the opportunity to have their own smaller family celebrations on Sunday. There are usually about 30 or 40 of us that come to Easter Saturday.

I went in with a plan. I had told my mother and aunt of my newest endeavor prior to the party so that they would be respectful and not try to feed me. This way they would not be offended that I was not eating any of their home made deliciousness. I also did not want to broadcast that I am on Optifast to all 30 or 40 of my family members ( I can be a bit private at times, so this whole “blog” thing took a lot of thought before I actually decided to give it a go). My plan was to have a shake prior to going, pack my necessary loot for the day and to keep my drink (water, tea or diet soda) full. It worked. When I arrived I put my little brown bag in the vegetable bin, then when it was time for my shake I retrieved it from the bin and went I the other room to drink it. I may open up later about this, but for now this is what worked for me.

The hard part was of course all of the food spread throughout the house, kitchen and yard. I was even requested to bring my special raspberry bars, which I made earlier that day. It’s not just that there was food; it was the fact that it was all of the good stuff that I like. I suppose it was all of that good stuff that has contributed to me being fat. Anyway, that was Saturday and I survived.

Sunday we were scheduled to go to my in-laws. We always have a fun time at their house and they only live about five miles away from us. For this gathering, I was requested to make a fruit salad, so not too bad. My mother in law always prepares a honey baked ham, but this time she didn’t, instead she made some tasty looking chicken. Again I had a plan. My plan was to drink my shake just prior to leaving, bring my stuff just in case we were there longer than three hours and to keep my water glass full. Prior to Sunday I also told my mother in law that I was following a doctor prescribed plan and would “eat” my lunch at home ahead of time. That way she would not be offended and think of me as rude for not participating in the meal.

It worked out perfectly because we have two new babies on that side of the family and I offered to hold and love one of them while the new parents enjoyed their meal. PERFECTO!

So, I made it through both celebrations, but they left me dreaming of food. I literally could not stop thinking about what I could NOT have. I know, boo hoo. So I emailed one of my cohort friends and also created a “wish list” of sorts of foods I will possibly make when I am complete. However, by then I may not want to eat silly foods like spaghetti tacos or quiche.

I should say that both my aunt and mother in law commented on how beautiful, healthy and radiant I looked, so I’ll take that. I guess that eight pounds really shows!

Either way, I am finding blogging to be a very useful tool and outlet for all of the thoughts that encircle my brain.

image

Day 11, just 94 to go

No comments:

Post a Comment